Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Porky Post

My boyfriend is a big fan of my cooking and a huge supporter of my blog.  So when I told him what I was making for dinner the other night he responded, "Are you gonna blog that?  Take pictures!"  Frankly, it hadn't even occurred to me.  I tend to save blog entries for specialty food items.  But who doesn't need a little every day inspiration?  So here we go.  :o)

Weeknight Menu:
Marinated Pork Loin
Crotty's Creamy Cauliflower
Sauteed Spinach
Sliced Tomato

Pork Loin Marinade
2 T Dijon or heavy grain mustard
1 T honey
1 T fish sauce (Nuoc Mam)*
Red pepper flake, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

Place the first four ingredients in a bowl and whisk together as you drizzle in olive oil until mixture reaches a thick sauce consistency.  Rub the entire pork loin with the sauce and refrigerate in a closed container or plastic bag for at least an hour.  Bake the pork loin in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until internal temperature reaches 185 degrees (approximately 20-30 minutes).  Let the meat rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

*If you can't find fish sauce (either at your grocer or your nearest Vietnamese restaurant) you can sub with soy sauce, but reduce amount to a 1/2 tablespoon.




Crotty's Creamy Cauliflower
1 head cauliflower
4 oz goat cheese, room temp
1 T light sour cream
Salt and pepper, to taste

Clean and chop cauliflower into florets.  Boil florets in a large pot of water until fork tender.  Drain and place cauliflower back in the pot.  Add the goat cheese and sour cream to the pot and mash with a fork or potato masher (can also be done in a food processor) until smooth and creamy.  Salt and pepper to taste.

This original recipe was introduced to me via my boyfriend's friend, Emily Crotty, a pastry chef who also loves to cook.  I modified it slightly by roasting the cauliflower with olive oil and salt and pepper in a 425 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.  I also added a splash of chicken stock while I pureed the cauliflower and dairy in the food processor since it was missing a little moisture from the original boiling technique.





Sauteed Spinach
1 10oz bag baby spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced (I use the pre-minced jarred garlic.  So easy!!)
EVOO
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pan, heat garlic in approximately one tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat.  When garlic juuuust starts to brown, add the entire bag of spinach and slowly toss to wilt.  As spinach reduces, add salt and pepper.  Squeeze excess moisture from spinach with tongs before serving.

*Note that spinach reduces a LOT!  One bag will only yield 2 servings.  So if you're feeding more than two people you may need to make in batches or cook in a larger pot.

 



The pork loin was super moist and flavorful.  The sweet heat from the honey and red pepper was a delightful contrast.

Emily's cauliflower puree is slightly reminiscent of mashed potatoes, but the goat cheese makes them slightly tangy.  If you're not a goat cheese fan (gasp!) you can substitute with cream cheese.

This is my favorite way to eat spinach.  I make this a lot.  It is so fast, easy and delicious.  Before I discovered how to cook spinach this way, my only other experience with cooked spinach (aside from spinach that was baked into other foods - quiche, bread, enchiladas, etc.) was canned.  There are only a few vegetables that are palatable out of a can.  Corn, green beans and beets, for example.  Spinach isn't really one of these.  Eating canned spinach requires a lot of butter and/or lemon juice and salt and pepper to cover the tin taste.  But this preparation is just as fast as opening and heating a can of spinach and so much better for you!  And SO much prettier!!!

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! Everyday menu item ideas are always appreciated as well as your specialty items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pork loin looks nice and juicy, but 185? Is that right? USDA recently dropped the safe cooking temp of pork to 145. I generally cook mine till 140 and let it rest and the temp carries up to 145 during that time.

    Gonna need to try that cauliflower recipe. Cauliflower is probably the most ignored veggie....at least at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this being an issue when we cooked it. I thought the new temp was 165, so I pulled it at 160 to let it rest, but it was still really raw in the center. The thermometer that my mom has listed 185 as the pork temp, so I put it back in and cooked it to 180 and pulled it. After it rested, that was the result. The juices were still a little pink, and it was super juicy and really tender. I suppose it's possible my mom's thermometer is off? Although it's digital. I have no idea. You are the meat master. I do far more with chicken and venison than pork. Maybe this was a fluke? :o)

    ReplyDelete