Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Casserole

To some of you, it is known that I am NOT a fan of Martha Stewart.  Long story short, I read an article 100 years ago where she was quoted saying something to the effect of "I don't own a microwave and I don't think anyone else should either."  My sympathies went out to every working family on earth and a string of adjectives such as "pompous," "pretentious," and "bitch" went through my mind.  Oh wait, that last one's a noun.  You get the point.  The rub of it is, I think she's a genius at what she does.  But just on principle I try to avoid her.  (Why no, I don't hold grudges.  Why do you ask?)

And then Pinterest happened.  People LOVE Martha on Pinterest and a gorgeous picture of a potato crusted quiche sucked me in.

Seriously... look at this thing!  It's so pretty!



I decided that despite my "moral" objections I wanted to make this for Christmas Day breakfast.  The title and the picture however were more appealing than the actual recipe so of course I revamped a couple of steps and added bacon.  What?!?!  The comments said it was bland!  :o)

Goat Cheese Quiche with Hash Brown Crust
(Adapted from Martha Stewart)
2 T butter, softened
1 pkg (1 lb) frozen hash brows, thawed
12 large eggs
1.5 cups reduced fat sour cream
4-5 oz soft goat cheese, room temp
4 scallions, chopped
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.  Spray a glass 9x13 dish with Pam.

Squeeze any excess water from the hash browns.  In a bowl, mix the hash browns, butter, one egg, 2t salt and 1t pepper.  Pat hash brown mixture into a glass baking dish and up the sides.  Bake in oven 15-20 minutes until the edges of the hash browns are just starting to brown.



While the hash browns are cooking, mix sour cream, goat cheese, 2t salt and 1t pepper with an electric mixer until combined.  Add the remaining 11 eggs, scallions and bacon until thoroughly mixed.  Pour into crust and bake until set, 45-50 minutes.






We opened presents while waiting for the quiche to cook.  :o)




Cut and serve.



Notes:
I didn't use a springform pan because I don't have one (and I thought the procedure of it all was a tad... precious).  :o)  The 9x13 worked juuuust fine.  I will say that the one advantage to using a round pan is that each wedge gets a little of the crispity crunchy hash brown crust.  In the 9x13, I only had 2 pieces that didn't have crust and they were still delicious, but didn't have that fun texture contrast.

While it didn't need it, I served the quiche with sour cream and salsa as condiments.  I lurve sour cream though and will eat it on almost anything.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment