Friday, January 6, 2012

Better Black Eyed Peas

If you live in the south, then you know you're supposed to eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day for good luck.  I don't know where the tradition came from, nor do I care.  I love any tradition dealing with food, and I just so happen to love BEPs (especially if they have bacon... mmm bacon).  My mother, however, born and bred in San Antonio hates BEPs.  While I would like to tell you that my ever dutiful mother willingly ate her New Year's BEPs without fuss, she confessed that her mother literally had to force her to choke down a solitary spoonful every year.  And THEN when she married and moved away from Texas, she "conveniently" forgot her southern roots and failed to keep the tradition alive.  (Scandalous!)

Then Mama smartened up.  She created a BEP loophole, so to speak.  After moving back to Texas, she started thinking, "I wish I could figure out some way to cook BEPs that I would actually enjoy them."  She found inspiration in a BEP dip recipe featured in The Only Texas Cookbook.  (One of Mom's all time favorite cookbooks!)  The recipe was fairly involved and had a lot of ingredients, but at least it was a place to start!  Mama started researching other BEP dip recipes; a process made infinitely more difficult in pre-Google days.  After reading 4 or 5, she decided to just create her own.  (I knew I got it from somewhere!)

Below you will find the easiest, most delicious way to get people to eat BEPs.  It's reminiscent of that bean dip you buy on the chip isle, but 1000 times better.  I recommend you make a double batch if you're going to have more than 3-4 people around 'cause it goes fast!  I made it for my boyfriend's family this past New Years and upon initial description, no one seemed particularly won over... and then they tasted it.  We put a serious hurtin' on a double batch!!  :o)

Black Eyed Pea Dip
(for a single batch)
1 can black eyed peas, drained (reserve juice)
1/4 jar pickled jalapeno slices*
2 T melted butter
1 cup of you favorite shredded cheese (I like the 3 cheddar blend)

Blend BEPs, jalapenos and butter in a blender or food processor**, adding the reserved juice as needed to make the mixture smooth.

 

 

In a microwave safe bowl combine the cheese and the BEP mixture.  Stir together and then heat in microwave until cheese is good and melty.  Serve with Fritos.  Sit back and bathe in praise.


*You can also use fresh.  Add jalapenos to your desired heat level.  You can also eliminate them altogether if you're a spice wuss.

**A blender is a little more work because you have to stir and manipulate the mixture to get it all blended due to lack of moisture, but it will yield a creamier product than the food processor, which is better for those of you who might not be BEP fans and don't care to be reminded that's what they're eating.

2 comments:

  1. Test sounds absolutely delicious yet do simple. -Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so simple but tasty. We just cook ours like we do our pinto beans. Borracho style (drunken style) with bacon or smoked ham or salt pork, Ro-tel, cilantro and all that other good stuff.

    ReplyDelete