Thursday, June 23, 2011

Savory Sweet Paninis

My friend Monique made this sandwich for me this past winter and it was delicious! But, being the meat eater that I am, I questioned what this concoction would taste like with some prosciutto. Let me tell you… it’s AMAZING!

For this sandwich you will need:
Rosemary bread (sourdough or ciabatta… something with a nice chewy crust)
Brie (1 wedge will make approx 4 sandwiches)
A pear or apple (approx ¼ fruit per sandwich)
Prosciutto (2 slices per)
Arugula (small handful for each)
Dijon Mustard
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can sub butter)
Honey (just a drizzle)

For each sandwich, lightly brush the outsides of the bread with the EVOO. On one of the inside slices, spread a thin layer of mustard. I layered my sandwich with alternating sticky/non-sticky ingredients for optimum stay-togetherness, but I’m particular like that (feel free to get wild!): bottom bread with mustard, arugula, brie, fruit, honey, Prosciutto, bread. Grill in a Panini press until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.

 


Ohhhhh yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...



Notes:
Fruit – This go-round I used an Asian pear. The last time I made this, I used a combo of pears and apples. Go with what you like and what’s ripe and in season.

Cooking method – I don’t have a Panini press. I just cook these like any other grilled cheese, on medium high heat using my spatula to press down on the sandwich and flipping once. You could also try a George Foreman grill, a brick covered in tin foil or another heavy skillet to weigh the sandwich down.

I also made Brussels sprouts with this meal. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Brussels sprouts?!? There better be cheese sauce!” I personally love Brussels sprouts (I support cabbage in any form), but I realize that’s not the norm. My Uncle Chuck maintains that most people don’t like Brussels because of their bitterness and claims that if people had access to fresh Brussels that had sustained a good frost, more people would be fans. As it is, growers can’t afford the risk of a frost becoming a freeze and ruining the crop and therefore harvest before that can become an issue. (This man has been in the horticulture business for 20+ years. He’s very smart about these kinds of things.) :o)

In any case, the particular version of Brussels that I made with this meal comes to you from The Barefoot Contessa. Usually when I find an interesting recipe, I end up changing something. This recipe however is spot on, and I’ve found no reason to change a thing. Find the recipe here. I made these sprouts for my friend Dustin one time (a Brussels skeptic for sure, but a good eater in that he’s willing to try anything) and he has since requested them specifically. A convert who, in conversations, describes these sprouts as, “THE SHIT!!” :o)

As an FYI, when it’s just me, I like to roast Brussels with just EVOO and salt and pepper. Try a flavored EVOO (mushroom, truffle) for added flavor. Truth be told, I prepare most of my vegetables this way if I’m not steaming/boiling them. Clean and trim veg, sprinkle with EVOO, salt and pepper, toss to coat and bake at 425 degrees for 10-30 minutes depending on the heartiness of the vegetable. Stir once during cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic meal, I don't know how people would eat it without meat. Maybe as some sort of desert sandwich? But the prosciutto really brings it all together so it can stand as an entree of its own. Looks great too!

    ReplyDelete