Sunday, June 19, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes

The first time I heard about these delicious morsels was on The Barefoot Contessa.  After throwing a batch together, and testing them out on my friends (I'm so thankful for such willing guinea pigs!) I did a little tweaking (as I am prone to do).  For anyone who enjoys that chocolate/peanut butter combo, they will become a staple.  I recently made them for a co-worker's baby-shower and one of the guests ate four.  I'm guessing they were well liked?  :o)

For ease and simplicity I prepare these using my favorite boxed chocolate cake mix.  (Feel free to make yours from scratch if you feel so inclined.)  During preparation however, replace 1/4c of the required liquid with brewed, cooled coffee.  Don't fret, your cupcakes will not taste like coffee.  It just helps to enhance their chocolate flavor.  Bake according to directions.



For the icing you will need:
1/2 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
Up to 1/4 c heavy cream
1/2-1 c of salted peanuts (optional), chopped, and placed in a bowl

Allow cupcakes to cool completely.  Put the sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and salt in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl down as you go.  Add the cream slowly and beat on high until the mixture is light and fluffy.  (If the mixture appears to be getting too thin don't use all the cream.)  Using a knife or icing spatula, ice each cupcake and then dip the tops into the bowl of nuts (this adds such a wonderful texture element!).




No comments:

Post a Comment